2015 Silent Thunder Order Annual Conference and Precepts Retreat Participants
2016 Annual Silent Thunder Order Conference and Precepts Retreat
Wednesday, July 13, 2016 6:00 PM -
Sunday, July 17, 2016 12:00 PM (Eastern Time)
Atlanta Soto Zen Center
1167 Zonolite Place
Atlanta, Georgia 30306
Map and Directions
Click here to contact Registrar Tom Pongratz or to Register
ANNUAL CONFERENCE & RETREAT
This year's Annual Silent Thunder Order Conference and Retreat will take place from Wednesday, July 13th through Sunday, July 17th. The retreat will include a wonderful opportunity to practice together, take part in the STO Conference and 501 (c) (3) Annual General Meeting on Saturday, July 16th and wrap up on Sunday, July 17th with Jukai & Zaike Tokudo Ceremonies. All are encouraged to attend as much of the retreat as their personal schedule allows. The conference will include morning workshops for the sharing of ideas and best practices between affiliates as well as introducing the activities presently taking place within the Board and its Committees to help all feel comfortable in participating and contributing their talents. It will include an update on the work done so far on the Matsuoka Documentary and archive. Election of 2016-2017 STO Board of Directors by active members will take place during the afternoon Annual General Meeting portion of the Conference. This Annual Conference is a great opportunity for old and new practitioners from across North America to practice, learn, and plan together.
Thank you to everyone who helped to remodel and reset the Zendo. The remodeling lasted 60 days but the outcome is, well, as you can see, beautiful! ASZC will have a "grand-reopening" celebration soon so be on the lookout for an announcement with the details! Retreats are planned for February and March. Please plan to attend one or all!
Bows of gratitude to Silent Thunder Order's Founder Soyu Matsuoka-Roshi for his efforts to bring Soto Zen to the West! Please join us in celebrating Matsuoka Roshi's life and legacy.
Todai-ji Temple, Nara, Japan
• The Matusoka Roshi Video Documentary Project is seeking funds to complete the documentary on Matsuoka-Roshi's life and his efforts to bring Zen to America. Please click here to help us reach our $10,000 goal and to see the latest Indiegogo fund raising effort and new video footage from the STO Pilgrimage to Japan.
• Please listen to the biographical talk about Matsuoka-Roshi given by Zenku Jerry Smyers at ASZC during Winter Ango in February 2010. Click the following link to the audio recording. http://drivetimezen.org/category/zenku-talks/
• STO Affiliates and STO Supporting Members, please make a special onetime donation and an ongoing pledge of Dana to STO in honor of Matsuoka's efforts bringing Zen to the West. Click here to make your donation. Please enjoy the following video on the history of our STO Lineage created in 2011. https://youtu.be/qOiIAtg8aWA
Mission Montain Zen Center
Please help us continue to support Matsuoka-Roshi's legacy of bringing and sustaining Zen in the West. What he started in 1939 when he first arrived in the US continues today through Silent Thunder Order training center.
Matsuoka-Roshi's lineage is represented by 16 Zen Centers throughout North America. ASZC is the training center for Silent Thunder Order lead by STO Abbot Taiun Michael Elliston (click here for Sensei's bio). STO Associate Abbot of Operations Zenku Jerry Smyers leads Mission Mountain Zen Center (shown above) in northwest Montana. STO Associate Abbot of Training Tesshin Jim Smith leads Atlantic Soto Zen Centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Click here for a complete listing of Affiliates.
• Purchase Matsuoka-Roshi's collected talks: The Kyosaku and Mokurai.
Click here for ordering information.
• Practice Zazen
And support your local affiliate with your presence. See the above affiliate list for the affiliate closest to you.
• Participate in a Poetry Reading (Atlanta area only) & Fundraiser
I climb long steps to Eiheiji,
bow in the Buddha hall
sit zazen in your shrine
question your ashes.
"How did you see eternity
from this treed-in temple?
When did you awaken from
this dream of dreams?
Where did you meet quantum physics
in thirteenth century Japan?
Do mountains really walk?"
"Shhhh," you whisper,
Kuya. Cross you legs,